Scanning down psychotherapist Amy Morin’s list of 13 things mentally strong people don’t do, I notice that for the most part I comply with the list, except for number 13!!
My biggest needs improvement area is patience. If I don’t see immediate results, I have a tendency to abandon the project all together. My logic being that life is too short to wait for anything.
Of course, my lack of patience impacts number 6.
I can be very impulsive at times and instead of taking calculated risks, I rush in where angels fear to tread. I hold onto the belief that whatever happens there will be a way around it or through it.
The draw back to that mentality is sometime one giant leap forward sets me back 10 steps and I end up dealing with things that could have been avoided had I taking time to weigh up the pro’s and con’s of my actions.
Anyway, enough about me. How mentally strong are you? Checkout the list and see. Or read the book.
1. They Don’t Waste Time Feeling Sorry for Themselves
2. They Don’t Give Away Their Power
3. They Don’t Shy Away from Change
4. They Don’t Waste Energy on Things They Can’t Control
5. They Don’t Worry About Pleasing Everyone
6. They Don’t Fear Taking Calculated Risks
7. They Don’t Dwell on the Past
8. They Don’t Make the Same Mistakes Over and Over
9. They Don’t Resent Other People’s Success
10. They Don’t Give Up After the First Failure
11. They Don’t Fear Alone Time
12. They Don’t Feel the World Owes Them Anything
13. They Don’t Expect Immediate Results